Welcome to the Town of Chandler, Indiana's Web Site Town of Chandler, IN
About Us



CHANDLER, “a town that cares” -had its beginnings with settlements starting in 1847, this early community was known as “Lee” established some thirty one years after Indiana became a state. Located in West Central Warrick County With the primary highway being state highway 62, Chandler has grown from its early settlements to a present day population of approximately 3,500. In 1873 the present day Southern Railway was constructed through the town and Chandler received its name from the construction foreman and later Vice President, O.E. Chandler. The town was first platted on April 6, 1874, and the post office was named Chandler on December 10, 1874. Although the town began as a cross roads of the agricultural area surrounding Chandler, and as a stop for the railroad, its early growth was fueled by coal mining in the immediate area. At one time, seven mines operated in and around Chandler.

The town was first incorporated in 1953. That year, the Chandler Volunteer Fire Department was Also organized. In 1954, the town installed some street lights and petitioned for a water system. Some streets were paved in 1955, in the early fifties state road 62 was rebuilt and resulted in a more direct route to Evansville and replaced the “Old Highway” currently Washington Ave. In 1965, the town took over the private sewage treatment system serving the community. Growth has been slow and steady most coming through annexations, however with the significant growth occurring in and around Chandler, it is expected the town will see an increase in the growth of the community in the immediate future and beyond. Residential and commercial development has been gaining momentum and with the Highway 62 widening project started in 2006, this trend in all likelihood will accelerate.