Get your pencils, crayons, markers, mouse, or whatever medium preferred warmed up, it’s time to design! Click here to download a pdf of the Chandler Flag Project promo and entry form. Totally fine to use your own paper or computer, just design your new Chandler flag in a 3:5 ratio. When submitting, let us know…
- Your flag’s meaning
- Your name
Submit your design by emailing it or mail/drop it off at Chandler Town Hall, 417 E Jefferson Ave, Chandler, IN 47610.
Official Rules and Guidelines
- An entry must be submitted either as a 3×5-inch drawing or a JPG/PDF/Vector image. A resolution of 900×1500 pixels works well. Index card size also works well.
- An entry will NOT be accepted if:
- It uses gradient colors. (All parts must be solid colors.)
- It is two-sided. (The same image will be seen on both sides.)
- It is a design that is plagiarized or is otherwise not an original work of the artist/designer.
- Entries must include contact information for the artist including: Name, address, phone number, email, age if under 18, and parental contact information if entrant is under 18. Note: do not put your name or identifying information on the image itself. Judging will be anonymous and the committee will assign a number to your entry.
- A paragraph (150 words or less) explaining symbolism in the flag and its story is strongly recommended but not required.
- Entries will be accepted by online submission, via email, or delivered in person or by mail to Chandler Town Hall, 417 E Jefferson Ave, Chandler, IN 47610.
- The Chandler Town Council will serve as judges and award a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. The judges will use a point system to aid in their selections, which will be available to the public.
- There will be a cash prize of $100 to 1st place and $50 to 2nd place. The Chandler Flag Project’s corporate sponsor will also provide $100 toward initial flag gear for the Town for a new flag at the Town Hall, car stickers, shirts, etc.
- The contest will run until Monday, July 30, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. The judges’ panel will begin their review process and select the winners at a subsequent Town Council meeting.
Entries that do not follow the above guidelines will not be considered. All entries become property of the Town of Chandler, Indiana, and will be considered public domain at the completion of the contest. The author/creator relinquishes all rights to the design. The artists/designers also certify that they are the original creators of the art work and it is not copyrighted or trademarked. The Town of Chandler reserves the right to alter, modify, or combine designs to create an official Town of Chandler flag.
The Town of Chandler reserves the right to use entries for promotional purposes during the course of the contest, for example on social media for contest updates.
The Town’s goal is a free and fair contest, subject to reasonable changes throughout its course. Contest rules are subject to change.
Suggestions and Advice
The flag must be a powerful design that attracts immediate interest and excitement. Citizens of Chandler must be attracted to their flag, want to see it used because they like it, rather than as a duty. It must speak to the character of the citizens in a way they can identify with and say “Yes, that’s us.” Submissions should be based on these basic rules:
- Keep it simple: A flag should be so simple that a child could draw it from memory.
- Use meaningful symbolism
- Use two to three basic colors
- No lettering or seals
- Be distinctive or be related and the submission requirements.
The best way to prepare for flag design is to watch this 18 minute TED talk by Roman Mars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4